Sunday, July 03, 2005

 

Sklanskyanity? - A New Religion for Poker Players

I have a relative who explained to my son not long ago that no one plays poker but sluts and stupid people. We all think she was drunk when she said it, or at the very least hungover. I'm not 100% sure that there's a big solid connection with the topic of this post, but I suspect that she hasn't heard anything about Sklanskyanity.

David Sklansky is a different breed of cat, and I think anyone who's read any of his books or paid any attention to his posts over at Two plus Two knows that. But recently I've been hearing a little bit about Sklanskyanity, a new religion he's been talking about over there, and I'm intrigured. In Sklansky's Poker, Gaming and Life, he talks about how if you want to know what life is going to be like 200 years from now, just imagine what it was like 200 years ago. You weren't alive then either. I always got the impression from this comment that he didn't believe in an afterlife, and that he possibly was an atheist besides.

But maybe like a lot of people who start getting older, he's beginning to have different ideas about God and an afterlife. I think Sklansky's thought processes are interesting, and I love reading his books. So if you're interested in some of his ideas on this whole religion thing, here is a link to the philosophy section of Two plus Two.

Go over there and do some reading and come back and let me know whether or not you think that these guys are a weird bunch. But probably weird in a good way. I tend to agree with most of what David Sklansky writes, frankly.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?