Tuesday, January 10, 2006

 

5 Poker Mistakes

I don't remember which book it's in, but I'm pretty sure it was a David Sklansky book, where the observation is made that there are only a handful of mistakes you can make playing poker. I can't find the article, but I can figure out what the mistakes are. The first thing to do in terms of figuring out what the mistakes are is to list all the possible actions you can take in a poker game:

1- You can check.
2- You can bet.
3- You can fold.
4- You can raise.

Those are really the only actions you can take in poker, so these are the only mistakes you can make:

1- Checking when you should be betting.
2- Betting when you should be checking.
3- Folding when you should be betting.
4- Folding when you should be raising.
5- Raising when you should be folding.

I think you can come up with other mistakes combining the above 4 possible actions, but not all of them apply, IMO, but the above 5 are the ones that apply. Thinking about the possible mistakes you can make playing poker makes the game seem a little simpler, to me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?